October 14, 2019


Surgeon General Health Advisory – “Indoor radon is the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the United States and breathing it over prolonged periods can present a significant health risk to families all over the country. It’s important to know that this threat is completely preventable.  Radon can be detected with a simple test and fixed through well-established venting techniques.”  January 2005

Radon is a cancer-causing, radioactive gas.  You can’t see radon and you can’t smell it or taste it.  It could be a problem in your home.  Radon is estimated to cause many thousands of deaths each year.  Only smoking causes more lung cancer deaths.

You should test for radon.  Testing is the only way to know if you and your family are at risk from radon.  Testing is inexpensive and easy—it should only take a few minutes of your time.

You can fix a radon problem.  Radon reduction systems work and they are not too costly.  Some radon reduction systems can reduce radon levels in your home by up to 99%.  Even very high levels can be reduced to acceptable levels.

For more information contact the Kent County Health Department at (616) 632-7100.  They have radon testing kits available for $5.00.